Ropes: How to Reach out to a Mentor
This will take about an hour and 20 minutes, but most of that is researching potential mentors. If you already know who you want to contact, I bet you can do it in 15.
Reach out to a mentor
- Find the expert in your field.
- Research everything you can about them for an hour.
- Pull out interesting facts or tidbits of information that you’ll use to impress them.
- Develop a few ideas on how you can help them.
- Use the script below to send them an email:
My name is [Your Full Name] and I’ve spent the last hour on your website trying to learn everything I can about what you’re doing with [Their Company]. I’m particularly impressed with how you [interesting tidbit that you found].
Anyway, there’s a lot I want to learn from you. So I’ve brainstormed a few ideas on how I can help you. Can we schedule 20 minutes to talk next week so I can run these ideas by you?
Please let me know when you’re available.
Looking forward to your response,
[Your Full Name]
[Your Contact Info]
A mentor is one of the most valuable assets you can have as an entrepreneur. They’ll answer all of your questions and introduce you to other important people. Take your time and do not skip this step.